Service Canada - Support for Ukrainian Newcomers
In response to the developing humanitarian crisis in Ukraine, the Government of Canada has announced that Canada is welcoming an unlimited number of Ukrainians. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is introducing new immigration streams for Ukrainians who want to come to Canada temporarily or permanently.
To support the Ukrainian newcomers, Service Canada, through their Community Outreach and Liaison Service (COLS), can provide information and assistance to newcomers and community partners, to enable Ukrainian clients to access Government of Canada services and benefits.
Services we provide include:
Virtual information sessions:
o Service Canada Ontario Region offers monthly webinars to provide information to community partners about federal government programs and services. Click here to register for an upcoming webinar.
o Customized presentations for your organization’s staff/volunteers to provide them with information on Service Canada programs and benefits, and how to access them.
o Tailored presentations for your Ukrainian newcomer clients, to provide them with information on Government of Canada services and benefits that they may be eligible for, and how to access them (e.g. Social Insurance Number, Canada Child Benefit, Foreign Credentials Recognition Program and Job Bank)
· Social Insurance Number (SIN) clinics:
Clinics to assist newcomers with completion of the SIN application and to process the applications (virtual or in-person where possible).
Please also find attached several translated handouts and further information below to share with your clients:
· Information on how to access services. Included in the handout is the Service Canada Outreach Support Centre toll-free number. This service provides assistance for clients with no computer or Internet access, or facing other barriers to accessing services.
· Welcome to Canada provides general information on the government of Canada programs and services for newcomers
· Welcome to Canada Checklist provides a list of important things to do when arriving in Canada.
· Social Insurance Number for Newcomers which can be used to promote and assist newcomers with the eSIN application process.
· How to use Job Bank. The Jobs for Ukraine portal aims to connect job seekers and employers with available opportunities.